Spanish homework help
|*All projects (PowerPoint; brochures; or video files) are to be submitted in Assignments by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April. 14th!
Cultural Project Topics
For the class you are required to complete one cultural assignment. This cultural assignment is worth 100 points and counts as 10% of your overall grade.
This project is due on: Monday, April 10th
You must choose one of the following topics:
|· La Semana Santa (Holy Week)
· Las Posadas
· Fiesta de San Fermín (Sanfermines)
· El Año Nuevo (in Argentina, Colombia, Peru, España)
· La tomatina
· Las Fallas
· Día de los Reyes Magos
· La Feria de Las Flores (Colombia)
· Fiesta de San Juan Bautista (Puerto Rico)
· Cinco de Mayo
· Santaría (religion practiced in Cuba)
- Research a Hispanic holiday and create a PowerPoint about what you learn. Include the date(s) of the holiday; where is the holiday generally celebrated (in which country/countries); how do the people celebrate; what types of foods, games, activities and traditions are popular; why is this holiday so important (what are its origins?) Lastly, compare and contrast this holiday to a similar holiday in the United States.
- Be sure to include pictures
- Celebrations / foods/etc
Some holidays you may want to consider:
|2. Research Hispanic art / artists: Create a PowerPoint about a specific Hispanic cultural art that interests you. Cultural arts can include: music, art, sculptures, dance, folkloric arts & crafts, etc. Include the origins of the cultural art you are researching; in which country (ies) is the art most predominant; the cultural significance of the art or artist; unique elements and styles that are specific to the art or artist; your response and/or reflection on the art. Is there any art/artist in the United States that represents American culture? Include one style of art that does represent American culture and describe how it does so: origin; tradition; significance; unique elements & styles.
Some art or artists that may interest you are:
|Frida Kahlo||La Sagrada Familia||Cuban Son||cumbia||santaría|
|Diego Rivera||mexican murals||Bossa Nova||tango||cascarones|
|Salvador Dalí||tile murals||Tigres del Norte||merengue||Woodwork – flautas; carritos (Costa Rica); et|
|Fernando Botero||Orisha (group)||bachata||jewelry|
|Francisco Goya||Carlos Gardel||flamenco||Superstitious talisman|
|Velázquez||Vicente Fernandez||El Tapatío||pottery (varies per county)|
|Antoni Gaudi||sevillanas||Orishas gods
|Andean music||Musical instruments
(i.e. Spanish guitar; Spanish castanets; maracas; etc)
*Your presentation should be 7 -10 minutes in length & include a Reference slide/page: You must include TWO references cited in MLA format!
*Online courses: In lieu of an oral presentation, your classmates will be able to view selected cultural projects in D2L. Students are required to view at least THREE presentations and write a response/reflection for each. (see below)
*Peer Response: Your response/reflection to three different presentations posted by your classmates must include:
- Something new you learned about the holiday or art form you did not know before you saw the presentation.
- Reflect on how the holiday or art form is different from what you expected it to be like or how it is unique.
- Of the projects posted, which holiday festivity/tradition would you prefer to attend and why? Or, which art form did you identify most with and why?
Peer responses will be available in a D2L discussion post a week or two after the project deadline.